Pages

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Obsessions

Before I begin (to those who actually spend time and read this), i'm not dead. I just didn't have anything to write about the past few nights. However, after reading my Pearls Before Swine treasury, I found that I do have something to talk about. Obsessions. Whether they be of the small or OMG YOU ARE A FREAK obsessions. Mine are usually the former, and they tend to change from week to week. My current obsession at the moment is golf. In an earlier post, I told you that I was unable to drive a golf ball straight. Well, the past week, I watched too much of the golf channel, went online to find tips, and have been practicing in my room with my toy light saber I bought last year. You might ask, why the light saber? Well, it's a good length, I can grip it like a golf club, and swing it like one as well, and it's just short enough that it doesn't bang into my walls. I even asked my dad to come out to the driving range with me, as he is one of the two people I know who golf, the other being my uncle. The last time I was supposed to go with my uncle, but my leg issue stopped me from doing so. Thanks blog, you just reminded me of something I need to go do, ask my uncle to go golfing. Golf, as I thought of it last night, is a hard game to learn and a hard game to master. My other "sport" of choice, candlepin bowling, is easy to learn and hard to master. My favorite sport, baseball, is easy to learn and easy to master. That should give some of you golf ignorant people out there enough of a comprehension to the talent these golfers actually have. Those who have never picked up a golf club and tried to hit a golf ball are usually the same who complain about the people who play golf. The people who say that golfers have it easy, winning millions of dollars to hit a ball. Go to a driving range, pick up the club, swing at the ball. See, not so easy, is it? There is a lot of things you need to do before you even step up to the ball. What club to use, how far do I need to hit it, what's the wind like. Then you step up to the ball. You need to hit it at a certain point to hit it right. Golf is like baseball in a sense. The same people probably complain about baseball being too easy. I would love to see you hit a 95mph fastball every time. Go to a batting cage, go in the fast pitch section, and tell me how many you hit. See, not so easy, is it? People who bash thing they don't understand are ignorant of that sport. I admit I bash Nascar and the IRL because I don't understand it. There really is no strategy in that, to my standpoint anyway. To fans, it's the simplier things, like they need to know how much gas they have, if there tires are inflated, the oils not overheating, this and that. It's driving, it's a machine that gets you from Point A to Point B. Not a competition. The reason for this random post about obsessions was brought on by my non-stop obsession in life. That's comic strips. I love the funnies to the point that my bookshelf is pretty much just funnies. I currently have 7 Garfield 3-packs, 8 regular Garfield books, 14 Foxtrot books, 2 Foxtrot treasuries, 3 Zits treasuries, a Calvin & Hobbes treasury, a Dilbert treasury, 3 Get Fuzzy books, a Least I Could Do (online comic) book, and my recent purchase, a Pearls Before Swine treasury. You make think I have a problem, I see it as constant bathroom reading material for someone with a short attention span. And on that note, I believe my bed calls me. Wednesday is my only day off, so the quicker Tuesday comes and goes, the more I will be happier. And that's all I have to say.

No comments: