Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2011

"Macho Man" Randy Savage

This will definitely be brief, just because it is late and I really don't have too much to say about this. But since I am a wrestling fan, I feel that I must say something.

It very rare for a wrestler's death to make it into the mainstream. When Eddie Guerrero died, it was mentioned for a brief second and then went away. I would say that Chris Benoit didn't make it into the mainstream, but unfortunately it did under different circumstances.

The Macho Man was definitely a different case. Even if you don't watch wrestling or have never watched it, you knew who the Macho Man was. Just as much as you know who Hulk Hogan is. It is just one of those things that you just know because these celebrities extend over from their medium and broaden them into the mainstream.

I started watching wrestling in the mid-90's and really didn't get to see the prime of all those wrestlers in the 80's. Macho Man, Hulk Hogan, Ricky Steamboat, Jimmy Snuka, etc. I did get to see Macho Man and Hulk Hogan wrestle in WCW, but it was just really different. He was getting older and wasn't as flashy anymore. I hadn't watched the matches of Savage from the 80's yet, but I knew that this wasn't the Savage that the 80's had seen.

Now, I am in the boat that think that the late 90's were the best time for wrestling. The attitude era was in full swing and there was finally life back in the WWF. People were drawn into what Stone Cold would do next to his boss and The Rock was running rampant in the ring. But there are definitely purists who believe that the 80's were the best. I do not have a complete opinion on the matter because I haven't seen many matches and rivalries from that time, so my opinions starts when I started. But, I do have a goal and that is to watch some of the best from the 80's to see who is right.

That includes watching what a lot of people call the best Wrestlemania match of all time: Randy Savage vs. Ricky Steamboat at Wrestlemania 3.

Anyway, I really don't have much else to say. RIP Macho Man. Give the big man a big OHHHH YEAAAAA when you get there.

No comments: