Pages

Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Looking Back

I frequent the site Journalism Jobs a lot these days. Mainly, because it is a really good place to look for jobs in my field of Journalism. I get the sense of what I will eventually need down the road at most of the major news outlets (if I ever chose that route) and just how many jobs are actually still out there in my field. I know that I am the start of the New Media Journalism movement that is going to kick off in the next few years, with newsprint becoming obsolete soon and magazines all but dying the slow death that should have been a few years ago. But, it's amazing that the Old Media Journalism is still fighting to stay relevant.

That is not the reason I decided to post this evening, however. I posted because on finding one job post on there that I could actually apply to and maybe have a shot at getting, I had to go through my old clips from when I interned at the Eagle Tribune in 2008. Looking back on them (and remembering how much of them was fixed later in edit by the sports editor), it still amazes me that I had my stuff printed in a newspaper not 3 years ago. That I actually set in motion a career that I hope to one day embark upon and enjoy doing for many years.

If you read my stuff here, I think it's safe to say that I like to write and convey my feelings through print. Every time I post here, I try to do so that it is mostly professional, free of error, and the best I can do. Those who know me know that I suck at self-editing my stuff, so you could probably go through all my posts and find multiple errors just poking their head out and screaming blue murder. But, I said mostly professional, so get off my back. :) (totally unprofessional smiley face)

I have always written better than speaking my feelings. That's why I have so many poems from high school (and a few I wrote a month or so ago) and that's why I decided to get into the field I am getting into. My words have been my life for a long time. Using them to convey a message to a large audience and get paid to do it? Not a bad idea in my mind.

My favorite thing is to tell people that I have an interest in video game journalism. I wish I could record the majority of them, because a lot of them are gold. Well, a lot of them are the same thing. "*Snicker* You want to sit and play video games for a living?" Well, yea! Sports and video games are a passion of mine, so why not use them in my career path? I have never been good at art and drawing, so design is out. I have never truly been creative enough to write a script or write a script for a video game, so that's out. Telling people a story about something random or something that truly interests me? That my friends is how I found journalism.

Video game journalism just blends the two together. I get to tell people stories (news) about their favorite video games that are in development or already out. I get to give them my unbiased opinion on why they should or shouldn't buy the game. I also get to tell them what the next big thing in gaming will be and why they should pay attention. All things I am truly good at! It's a perfect blend!

And now that I have both used the word "and" at the beginning of a sentence and ranted about nothing really, I will go. Until next time...

No comments: