Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

Impressed

Now, we all know that I am a huge sports fan. What you may not know is that I am not one to sit and watch a lot of games. Even my favorite sport baseball, I don't watch a lot of games throughout the year. It is a mix of the fact that I work a job and can't watch them all that way and because I usually find myself playing a video game instead. With the addition of Liliana in my life, that also takes away from my sports viewing time as well. But, if you have met my daughter and find out how freaking fun and funny she is, I think you would choose her over the sports too. Trust me though, she will know the rules of baseball (and the other major sports) when she grows up and she will be given the choice of whether she wants to watch or not. But that's my duty as the dad.
While I don't watch all the games throughout the year, I do make it a note to make sure I know what's going on in the world of sports. I know that the Celtics and Bruins are in the playoffs and I know that the Celtics just moved on to the second round. How do I know? Well, I do pay attention to this wonderful device known as the internet, the other device known as my cell phone, and the wonderful gadget in my car known as a radio.
This definitely isn't the same as actually sitting and watching the Bruins score that goal in double OT and watch the frenzy as they go up 3-2 in their series. Nor is it the same to just see that the Celtics just manhandled the Knicks in their series and swept the ever-loving hell out of them. But, at least when I go to work the next day, I know what the fuck is going on.
Now the Sox, I definitely pay attention to the most. Baseball is my number 1 sport, so naturally they fall on my radar more times than the other two. So, it was to my utmost surprise to see that Daisuke Matsusaka absolutely annihilated the Angels the other night, with 8 innings of 1-hit ball. Not only that, but he has allowed no runs and two hits in his last two starts. This, after being hammered by the Rays three starts ago. Sports radio was not kind to him after that Rays loss and wanted him to go away. Now, all you haters can suck it.
Now while it was a surprise to see Daisuke succeed (because he really hasn't done too much while he has been here), it was a surprise to see Lackey start off weak. He had one full year in the AL East to work out the jitters of being in Boston, so surely he would start out alright? Well, he has been the second question mark in the rotation. He got a win against the Yankees, but still allowed 6 runs in the game. Apparently he was bad enough to skip a turn in the rotation as well. He pitched fine in Oakland, but was just the victim of a bad offense at the time. So, it was somewhat of a surprise to see him pitch a shutout in back to back days with Daisuke. That, my friends, will definitely shut up those whining about the rotation.
Even better is that the lineup seems to be finally putting it together. They scored 12 runs in the last two games, and Carl Crawford hit a HR. So, it is definitely starting to look up.
Now all we need is for the Bruins to kill Montreal Tuesday and move closer to their first Stanley Cup in almost four decades. Go Bruins!
I guess that is all. Two more days til court. Wish me luck!

No comments: