Pages

Saturday, April 30, 2011

WWE Extreme Rules 2011 Predictions

Now I am certain if you know me well enough, you know how much of a wrestling fan I can be. Wait, I guess they don't want to be called a wrestling company anymore. I am a huge WWE fan and have been watching since I was about 8. Last month, I posted on Twitter my predictions for each match at Wrestlemania. I got the majority of them right, so I figured I would throw down my predictions for the next PPV, which is WWE Extreme Rules. So, without further ado:

1. Michelle McCool vs. Layla (No DQ, No Countout, Loser Leaves WWE)

Right before Smackdown even came on the air, I checked Wikipedia for the list of matches. I thought for certain that this match had already been announced (and while yes, I do check the spoilers for Smackdown on occasion, I hadn't this week). So it wasn't a complete shocker that after a buildup from Smackdown to Raw and back again to SD, this match was announced tonight. What I didn't see coming was the stipulations. While that doesn't put too much of a damper on my prediction, it does make my prediction that much easier. Because Layla I think has a future with the WWE and Michelle has been wrestling for a while now, I see Layla winning.

Winner: Layla

2. Jerry Lawler & Jim Ross vs. Michael Cole & Jack Swagger (Country Whipping Match)

It is weird. Whenever they put Jim Ross in the ring, it tends to devolve into a whipping match. Shocking that it happened again, huh? Well, the difference is that he will be on a team with his longtime announcing partner in Jerry Lawler. While the feud between between Jerry and Cole has been a little too one sided (especially with Cole repeating the same word/phrase OVER AND OVER AGAIN IN ALL OF HIS FUCKING PROMOS!) I think it has to start twisting over to the good guys side. While Jerry did win but didn't win at Wrestlemania 27, I think he wins again at this PPV. It will set up the climax of the feud at the next PPV, and hopefully it shuts Cole up finally.

Winners: Jerry Lawler & Jim Ross

3. Rey Mysterio vs. Cody Rhodes (Falls Count Anywhere)

This feud is a weird one. When I put my predictions together for Wrestlemania on the fly, I mainly picked all the faces because I believes that the majority of them would win (and I was right). But, I picked Cody Rhodes because I thought that with the way they were fleshing out this injury angle, he would get a push. Needless to say, I was right. It also sucks that Mysterio always tends to be on the receiving end of a push. But, with Rey leaving to Raw after this match, I think he is going to go over there with a win over Rhodes. Especially since Cody has been embarrassing Rey the last two weeks on SD. Rey will win, Cody will get really pissed, and he will start a feud because of it with another SD superstar (I don't know who yet).

Winner: Rey Mysterio

4. Randy Orton vs. CM Punk (Last Man Standing)

This match is a weird one for me to pick. For one, Orton won at Wrestlemania and did it on "one leg". He also did it with an even playing ground, with him punting every Nexus member before the match. Now, the Nexus is back again to skew the playing level once again. So, how does this match play out? Well, the first half of the match will be "fair" and one-on-one. The two of them will beat each other up very nicely. But after the halfway point, Nexus is going to take over and I think that they will be the reason the Randy doesn't get up. It sends Orton to SD pissed off and CM Punk will be all smug on Raw for a few weeks.

Winner: CM Punk

5. Christian vs. Alberto Del Rio (Ladder Match for the World Heavyweight Championship)

This match is a weird oddity of chance. This match a few weeks ago was to determine the #1 contender for Edge's title. Then, we get the retirement of Edge because of his neck injury thus pushing Christian from mid-level sidekick of Edge who probably wasn't going to compete for the title until the end of the year maybe, to the new champion. Why will he be the champion and not a rising Alberto? Because I said about Wrestlemania that Alberto is definitely shining, he isn't ready to hold the title. I still believe that. I think he will win it in a couple of PPVs from now, but I think with Edge retiring (and was probably going to hold onto the title until Alberto won it from him), they are going to give Christian the title mainly because he is Edge's partner. Edge will be at the PPV and I won't be surprised if he gets involved in the match lightly. Like maybe to drop Alberto from the ladder or maybe give him a spear.

Winner: Christian

6. The Miz (c) vs. John Cena vs. John Morrison (Steel Cage Match for the WWE Championship)

I posted on Facebook in a note that I absolutely HATED the title match at Wrestlemania 27. I hated that it was just SO slow, Cena was not the Wrestlemania Cena that he usually is, and it was SHORT. Main events are supposed to be a little longer than what that was. Now, I understand that Miz probably did suffer a concussion and thus wouldn't have been able to end the match because of it (and thus the match was cut short), but it was just an overall sloppy match.
Now, three things are going to happen the night of Extreme Rules:
  1. R-Truth is going to take out Morrison and the match will turn into a rematch of Cena vs. Miz.
  2. R-Truth is going to take out Morrison and he will be inserted into the match instead.
  3. R-Truth is going to take out Morrison DURING the match, and allow the other two to finish the match without him.
In all those scenarios, this match is going to be the launching point for an R-Truth/Morrison feud that is going to brew for the entirety of the summer. It has already started on Raw and will just flesh out the R-Truth heel turn and maybe launch him into a title match soon. I think turning R-Truth into a heel was a good move, now they just need to flesh it out some.

Now, I just spent three paragraphs about what the match is going to do in the future, but didn't predict a winner yet. Initially, I have thought that Cena is going to win the title, but now I am unsure. I don't know why they are keeping the title on the Miz for so long, but I think they are doing it because he obviously is showing the bookers something to keep it on him. While I think that Cena will get his wish (and defend the title against the Rock at Wrestlemania 28), I don't think he will win it until later. Maybe the November PPV or Royal Rumble. So, I think The Miz holds onto the title (unfortunately).

Winner: The Miz

The aftermath of the PPV:
  • Michelle McCool is going to take some time off from the WWE or might leave for good. Layla might get another title because of it.
  • Cody Rhodes is going to be pissed about his loss to Rey that he will start taking it out on the SD locker room and enter into another long feud.
  • Jerry and Cole continue their feud for one more PPV. I think Cole might end up leaving the WWE for a while because of it.
  • Christian becomes an in-between champion from Edge's end until Alberto Del Rio's eventually title reign. He might continue the feud with him leftover from Edge.
  • Cena will probably challenge Miz again at the next PPV for the title, but won't win it until November or January. He will defend it against the Rock at Wrestlemania 28.
That is all I have. Let's see how much I get right! See you Sunday!

No comments: