Pages

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Hockey Talk

I am not the biggest hockey fan ever.  In my rank of priorities of sports I watch, my list goes:
  1. Baseball
  2. Football
  3. Hockey
  4. Fuck Basketball
Now, to all you basketball fans, calm down.  I love playing basketball, but I can't stand watching it.  Too many whistles and stoppages of play for me to handle.  Yes, baseball is slow by nature, but that it what I grew up watching and I know it is supposed to be slow like that.  Football can be slow at time, but that too is set up that way.  At least you know that every 40 seconds you are going to get a play in football.  Basketball has WAY too many fouls over stupid shit and it annoys me.  Then, once the foul is called, play stops dead for like  a minute, they take a shot, players are substituted out, then another minute passes, and another shot and then play resumes.  They go down to the other end and rinse and repeat.  Very annoying in my opinion.

But, I am not here to talk basketball.  I am here to talk hockey!  We all know why, of course.  Tomorrow night Boston fans are going to be sitting in front of their TVs waiting for the Bruins to clinch their first Stanley Cup in almost 40 years.  There is a lot of pessimism in this town, but that is warranted after the luck we have always had in this town.

Why am I not as much of a hockey fan as I should be in this town?  Well, while I watched all the sports growing up, I was never a fan of football, basketball, or hockey growing up.  I was a baseball fan 100% and the other sports were second fiddle.  I don't know why I felt that way, it just was.  When I got into high school and the Patriots were starting their run of three Super Bowls, I decided to start watching football a little more.  The early part of the 2000's, I only watched one football game a year and that was the Super Bowl.  It made sense to me.  I didn't like the sport that much and I wanted to ease myself in.  Eventually in the late 2000's, probably the 2007 season, I actually starting watching more games in the year.  Last year was the first full season I tried to watch all the games I could.  The reason?  I started a Fantasy Football team because apparently it is the thing to do during football season.  I ended up in 3rd place.  Not too shabby.

Hockey is a different beast.  I didn't get back into the sport because of the pros but because of high school.  In my junior year, I was the assistant photo editor of the newspaper.  I got tasked with taking pictures of a lot of sports and events throughout the year.  I took the entire hockey season because I wanted to get back into the sport just like football and it made sense.  I even had a goal for the season: my advisor said that getting a photo of a goal actually being scored is near impossible, so I made it my goal to get at least on goal shot (I succeeded by the way and it was definitely awesome).

Well, after taking photos of hockey for almost 3 months, it got me interested in watching hockey on TV again and watching the Bruins.  Well, guess what happened the year I decided to pick up interest?  THE FUCKING LOCKOUT, THAT'S WHAT!  That turned me off again from the sport.  Until the last couple of years, when the Bruins made playoff runs each and every year for the past like 4 years.
To the observant person, I look like a fairweather fan.  I only pay attention to a team if they are winning, which is far from the truth.  Since I tend to close at whatever job I work at (mainly because I prefer to close) I tend to miss a lot of sports games because mostly all of them are at night.  I usually go on Yahoo! Sports after work to find out scores and such and anything I missed throughout the day and that works for me.  Ever since 2004, when the Sox won the World Series, the only thing I listen to in my car is Sports Radio 850 AM, so it's not like I don't know whats going on in the world of sports.

Brings us back to the Bruins this year.  We are heading into Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals against a shaky Vancouver team.  The Bruins have outscored Vancouver 19-8, yet the series is tied.  The home team has won every game, but there hasn't been a domination factor for Vancouver.  All three games in Vancouver have been 1 goal wins for the Canucks.  The series could easily be 6-0 in favor of the Bruins if things had gone differently in any of those games.  Tim Thomas has kept the Bruins in all three games, but have lost by a 5 fluke goals in Vancouver.  Two of the games in Vancouver have been shutouts for Vancouver.  It's not like the Bruins have been outplayed entirely, they just haven't played their best up there.  Now that it is Game 7, they need to pull out all the stops and play like they did in Boston.  They have scored 17 goals in three games!  It's not like they can't put the puck in the net!  They just seem to have a issue about doing it up in Canada.
My family is worried that we won't win tomorrow night, but I think they are going to do it this time.  This is their third game 7 of the playoffs and they have done it in both of those.  If they are going to hoist Lord Stanley's cup, they are going to have to pull off a third.  Go Bruins and hopefully when I post Thursday, we'll see a picture of Chara hoisting a cup.

Now, I posted this to make mention of this and I have yet to do so.  I will leave you on this.  Brad Marchand last night beating up Daniel Sedin pretty much sums up what the Bruins have to do while they visit Vancouver for the last time.

No comments: