Pages

Monday, September 05, 2011

A Story about a Fallen Friend


Story time for those who want to hear it.  It is a story of a girl who entered my life in 2007 and was one of the reasons that my daughter Liliana Grace was born.  Don't believe me?  Well, here is the story.


Back in May 2007, while working at Wal-Mart, I met a girl named Sachary Montanez.  She was 15, but she had gotten a job at Wal-Mart by saying she was 16.  Wal-Mart didn't hire under 16, but she really wanted the job so she could have money.  I remember wanted money that young, so I really didn't blame her.  We got along very well when she started and she actually told me what she did almost right away.  She didn't tell everyone at the store she did, so I kinda felt special, you know?

Jump to September of that same year, and I started talking to a girl I had met online.  Her name was Amanda and we all know the story of her by now.  But what not many people don't know was that Sachary was the catalyst that helped start that relationship.  You see, I am one of those guys who sucks at first moves.  Sure, I initiated the first contact online, but I am better on the net that I am with a phone in my hand.  We had been texting and messaging back and forth for a while and she asked me to call her, because she wasn't going to and she actually wanted to talk on the phone.  I stalled because I hated talking on the phone and was a wimp when it came to hitting that send button, especially when a girl was involved.  My fear of rejection back that was a lot stronger than it is nowadays.

Well, I talked to Sachary about Amanda all the time.  What she was like, how much I think I liked her, and whatnot.  She was the person I went to about things like that and its funny because I truly don't know why.  She was a girl and I almost actually dated her, but she was really underage and I didn't want to get into that boat and have it sink.  She actually admitted later that she kinda liked me and would have dated me if I had asked.  But that's moot, isn't it?

I told her that Amanda wanted me to call, but I just couldn't.  She basically slapped me around figuratively and told me that if I really liked Amanda that I should go ahead and call her.  I would be doing a lot more harm by doing nothing than complaining about it.  So, that night I did call Amanda and started my 3-year odyssey with her that is well documented as well.

Amanda told me during that or another conversation that if I hadn't called, our relationship may have stalled or never began.  She was very old school when it came to dating and that the guy should always make the first call, move, etc.

If Sachary hadn't been in my life at the time, I probably wouldn't have found another person to talk to about Amanda and how much I was stalling.  I may have never have called her and started up my relationship with her.  If our relationship never happened, I may have found another girl or had remained single up until present day.

But the biggest thing is that Lily would have never been born.  And as much as Amanda and I argue with each other to this day, I still love my daughter with all my heart and would do anything for that little girl.  Even when she is becoming as much of a grouch as she has become.

So, why did I tell this story?  Because that same Sachary, who entered my life in 2007 has left it just as quickly as her life was taken from her at such a young age.  Her stepdad committed the most heinous act known to man and murdered her, her brother, and her mother where they lived late last night.  Why he needed to do such a thing remains a mystery.  But, it hurts my heart in a way I never thought was possible.  A young life lost before it could even begin.

R.I.P. Sachary.  You were always smiling and always loved living your life.  You always helped everyone around you and I bet if given the chance, you would help everyone in the world.  You didn't need to leave us so soon, but you will definitely be in a better place now.  We will all miss you.

2 comments:

Your Friend Tom said...

Thank you for sharing your story. It's a tragedy that this has happened, even more so that I see my friends hurt so badly because of it. I wish I'd have known her better and your story only accents the point. Take care, Jimmy, I'll be here for you if you need a friend.

BRU-6459 said...

I'm sorry for your loss James, and my deepest condolences go out to you and everyone touched by the family members now departed. R.I.P. Sachary, mother, and brother Montanez.


Stay strong!