Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2011

WWE Money in the Bank Predictions

I have been a wrestling fan for a long time. Back in the day before digital cable and the onslaught of comcast and verizon, there were such things as black boxes. They were cable scramblers that allowed one to get free cable back in a day where it was possible. Nowadays, Comcast and Verizon make it near impossible for you to do this anymore, so you actually have to purchase a PPV if you want to watch it.

What does that have to do with me? Well, for the longest time, the only PPV that I would order after we lost our black boxes (or cry me a river for stealing cable because I wasn't the only one doing it) was Wrestlemania. It was biggest one of the year and supposedly the best. But, after this year's Wrestlemania, I was totally disappointed at that claim. You know how I felt about the show. It wasn't worth the $60 I paid for it.

Still, what does it have to do with Money in the Bank and me? Well, later tonight I will be ordering Money in the Bank. It will be the first non-Wrestlemania PPV I have wanted to order and watch in the longest time. Every PPV I sit in front of my computer and look at the results as they happen on WWE or other Wrestling sites. But, with CM Punk and the little drama he has created at WWE, I am intrigued on how Vince can play this one out and if he can do it the right way. He has a gold mine opportunity, he just needs to cash in on it.

It isn't just the Punk/Cena match that is interesting. The Christian/Orton saga is beefing up and drawing to a close soon enough. Christian has turned into a really good heel, which we already knew from his TNA days that he is good at doing. The PPV also has two Money in the Bank ladder matches and there will be surely enough highlight from both of those to satisfy. The other matches are there, but those four alone finally sold me on finally getting the PPV.

So, the question now remains. What do I think is going to happen? I, after all, have been posting my predictions the last couple of months on here and find it helps me get into the mood to want to write more. So, without further ado, this is what I think will happen later tonight.



WWE Money in the Bank PPV Predictions

WWE Championship Match: John Cena (c) vs. CM Punk

This match is guaranteed to either steal the show, or disappoint immensely. The background on this match is immense and I could spend an entire post talking about what has happened and how it has helped me follow this story very deeply. But, this post would be last forever and I doubt you would want to read just on how well I think this match has been laid out. So, here's the short of it:

The rumors way back were that CM Punk was going to go for the title this summer. But the rumors were also out there that his contract was up in July and that he wanted to take a break and rest. So, I was shocked that Punk became #1 contender AND told us he was really leaving. It threw a monkey wrench into the whole plan. Punk was going to carry a story arc with Cena for the summer and probably carry Cena into his loss of the title until he won it back to face The Rock in April. When he said he was leaving, that was a sure fire loss on his part. Surely, Vince would not let Punk win the title then either leave with it or vacate it right after.

But then Punk threw that amazing promo that I posted about almost exactly after I saw it. He did everything right in that. He said it with a passion, he spoke the truth about he was treated while he was with the WWE and he spoke what we all are thinking about the WWE and Vince. It made me want to watch and find out what would happen.

He was suspended.

But good guy Cena, the same guy that Punk called an ass-kisser the week prior, wanted to face Punk. The WWE Universe wanted Cena kick the crap out of Punk. Vince didn't. Vince has a history of watching a title leave his company and end up on competition. He didn't want to deal with that backlash again. But Cena, the golden boy of the company, threatened to "quit" and what would Vince have? No champion and no draw for the title anymore. He made the match and all was good. Except, that he said that if Cena lost the title and Punk left with it, he was fired.

That effectively told me that Punk was not winning. Vince would not fire Cena, he wouldn't let Punk leave, and he wouldn't lose the championship.

Yet, I still think Punk is going to win later tonight. I just have a funny feeling that says that Vince has pulled out all the stops when it comes to this match. Look at it this way. Before Punk went on his tirade, the show was the same old shit. Nothing new, nothing exciting anymore. Cena was champ and so was Orton. Same old shit, new day. Punk effectively took the WWE and made it a thing to see again. Everyone in the circle was talking about what Punk had just said and they wanted to see what would happen. If Vince lets Punk leave the WWE for his sabbatical with the title, it would cause that same stir that Punk initially brought three weeks ago. Hell, even with what he said last week on Raw.

So, Punk wins. What happens? Well, one of two things happen. Punk wins and actually leaves with the title for a bit and will eventually come back, probably before Wrestlemania to give it back to Cena to face The Rock with. Cena getting fired? Not a chance in hell. Punk was right on Monday, Cena was fired last year from the Nexus...for a week. Then he came back and is champion once again. He won't get fired fake or real. He will stay and have that sour taste in his mouth that he let the title slip from him. This is scenario #1.

Scenario #2 takes the reaction of the crowd, who just saw the title effectively leave the company, and turn them upside down once again. This PPV is Money in the Bank after all and there will be a MITB winner crowned before the match starts. My prediction is later and I will get to that later, but whoever it is will cash in their contact and take the title from Punk before he can leave the company. His contract expires at midnight, so he will still be obligated to defend it before that. The crowd is shocked twice in one match and Vince wins yet again.

We will just have to wait and see what happens. Like I said, that was the SHORT version of my logic. Just imagine if I kept on talking?

Winner and New Champion: CM Punk, who then leaves or gives the title to the new Raw MITB winner.

World Heavyweight Championship Match: Randy Orton (c) vs. Christian

I don't know if I mentioned this, but I hated the fact that WWE took the title from Christian so soon after giving it to him. I think I have said it now three times or something. These two had two really good matches in a row and stole the show twice. Now, its getting stale. Christian has definitely become an effective heel, but he is starting to sound like a crybaby more and more. It's actually pissing me off, which is exactly what the WWE wants. But, is his character turn and good selling of how much of a whiny bitch he is going to equate to the title, finally? No. I haven't heard otherwise, so I think the brass backstage do not think that Christian can be an effective champion. So, I guess we are stuck with Orton for a while. Until my MITB winner takes him out, which won't be at this PPV.

Winner and Still Champion: Randy Orton

Raw Money in the Bank Ladder Match: Kofi Kingston, Rey Mysterio, Evan Bourne, R-Truth, Jack Swagger, Alex Riley, The Miz, and Alberto Del Rio

I really have not much to say in regard to the ladder matches, so effectively, all I am going to say is who wins and why. In order:

  • Kofi Kingston: Isn't ready. As much as he has been with the WWE for a while, they haven't sold him in the main event ever. Why they going to start now?
  • Rey Mysterio: Rey is only in this match to be a high flyer. Sad truth, but the truth nonetheless.
  • Evan Bourne: Same statement for Rey.
  • R-Truth: They didn't give him the title last month, why are they going to give him the MITB and effectively the title? I still say he will be champion eventually, but not because of this match
  • Jack Swagger: Undersold WAYYY too much. Especially after his involvement with Cole earlier in the year.
  • Alex Riley: Is just starting and still has a feud with The Miz to wrap up. I think he will be champion in the next couple of years, but not yet.
  • The Miz: Won't win two years in a row. I know it's been done before, but I think he still has Riley to put over and being champion won't help that.
  • Alberto Del Rio: So, why is Mr. Del Rio all the way at the end? I said a while back (probably at Wrestlemania) that Del Rio will be champion by year's end. So, here you go. I think that Del Rio wins the match and either cashes it in at Summerslam and starts a feud with Cena, or he cashes it in right away later in the night to stop Punk from leaving the company with the title.

Winner: Alberto Del Rio

Smackdown Money in the Bank Ladder Match: Kane, Sin Cara, Daniel Bryan, Cody Rhodes, Heath Slater, Justin Gabriel, Sheamus, and Wade Barrett

Same deal:

  • Kane: Won it last year and did a really good job being a very smart psychopath with the title. Don't see it happening again.
  • Sin Cara: High flyer in a ladder match.
  • Daniel Bryan: Same
  • Cody Rhodes: I think I said that Rhodes will probably be in the title picture soon, but not here. Very close though.
  • Heath Slater: Not ready yet. Plain and simple.
  • Justin Gabriel: High flyer in a ladder match.
  • Sheamus: I was very close to picking Sheamus to win, but I can't imagine they would. Someone just rubs me and says that Wade Barrett is ready to try a title run again.
  • Wade Barrett: Which bring me to Barrett. Last year, Barrett feuded with Orton for the title on Raw and lost each time. I think he will become champion and feud with Orton again. I actually thought that the Orton/Barrett feud was good and could be worked on some more. I don't think Barrett cashes in tonight, but he will soon. Maybe by Summerslam. It will also mark the fact that neither MITB winner will make it to Wrestlemania with the briefcase.  Just like last year.

Winner: Wade Barrett

Big Show vs. Mark Henry

Wow, they REALLY turned Mark Henry into a real asshole. Very effectively, I might add. His heel turn was a shock after being a good guy for so long, but it definitely has worked. You notice him again on TV and he is relevant in the company again. Feuding him with Show is excellent as well, as it makes the fight fair for both of them. I think Show has the slight edge in the match, but I think Henry takes him out right after and it might spill onto the stage again. This feud will carry one more PPV and then dissolve.

Winner: Big Show

Divas Championship Match: Kelly Kelly vs. Brie Bella

Rematch match. Whoo. Kelly Kelly actually has shocked me. I actually remember her first coming up through the fake ECW. She sucked A LOT when she first started wrestling, but I definitely have seen improvement in her in-ring ability. However, just like the Tag Team division (which doesn't even have a title match on the PPV card, shocking) the Diva's Division is dead. It died when Trish, Lita, Jackie, Molly Holly, and all those left. It just hasn't been the same. The Divas have reverted back to being eye candy and nothing more, which is sad. Because, there are plenty of talented young girls who could become good wrestlers if the WWE gave them a chance. Now, I know you're going to say that I am wrong, but seriously. When is the last time you got excited over a Divas match?

Winner and Still Champion: Kelly Kelly

That's my rundown. It is late, so I think I will taper off and end this post crappy. See you Monday for an aftermath post and see how well I think the WWE will play this out. This card could produce the best card of the year if the WWE plays it out the right way. See ya!

No comments: