Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

WWE Middle Finger to the Fans

I am severely pissed off at the WWE for doing what they did.  Plain and simple, they fucked up.  Immensely, they fucked up and they are going to have to do a lot to fix it.  They dropped the ball completely on this whole angle with Punk and I just hope that how they ended Raw fixes it somehow.

After one of the best WWE PPVs in a while last night with Money in the Bank, they fucked it up with Raw within 5 minutes of starting.  How the hell do you go from having the perfect storyline of Punk leaving and having the title gone for a while and using that as the perfect storyline to a tournament to crown a new champion.  It was the cheapest way out of the angle in my opinion and they could have done SO much more with it than they did.

With that said, the ending of Raw intrigues me to see how they are going to play it out again.  Raw sucked, plain and simple.  It could have been so much better if the entire show was based around a tournament to crown a new champion when the current champion was watching a Cubs game.  They could have kept a camera in Chicago and filmed Punk watching the game with the title and keep the title off air for a few months.

I told you the other night that MITB (the initials for Money in the Bank) was one of the first PPVs in a while that I actually wanted to buy because of what Punk was doing.  I was torn on Punk before this month and how he played that mic so well proved to me that Punk was better than what I thought.  I remember back when Punk debuted on the fake ECW.  I wasn't sure about who he was and what he was doing and I missed his three World Heavyweight Championship reigns, so I didn't get to see how he evolved in the WWE.  I've seen promos of him YouTube from his days in the indies and how smart he was using the crowd to his advantage.  The guy signed his WWE contract on the Ring of Honor title!  He knows how to strike controversy and I am reading a book by Eric Bischoff entitled "Controversy Creates Cash", so it could have been perfect.

I mentioned last night that there could have been so much potential in the arc.  I thought they could keep the title off air and play that.  I thought Vince could use his legal magic to get the title back from Punk.  Hell, he could have forced Punk to vacate it himself, but he took the cheap way out and played the "Punk never existed" route.  Cheap and non-effective.

But what's this?  Vince is now fired?  What can this possibly evolve into?  If it means that the entire two hours of Raw that I watched tonight was pointless and they aren't even going to finish off the tournament next week, then I will go from being pissed to being super pissed.  You spent one week of Raw building up your cheap ploy to erase Punk from history and then bring him back as champion, and say "Fuck you, the tournament is bologna and we are actually going to play out the title is gone angle as planned."  That would be a giant middle finger to the fans.

However, if a new champion is crowned, CM Punk is still going to lay claim to the championship.  He never vacated the title and technically Vince was relieved of his duties before Raw when on air, if you want to follow the storyline.  So, if Hunter comes out and says that everything Vince said last week is false, the Punk is still the WWE champion.  This could get interesting very quickly.

Never before have I sat on my computer and wrote out a big giant hate letter to the WWE this severe.  I have been a fan of wrestling for a very long time and got through the Monday Night Wars of the 90s and the Attitude Era and the WWE has something here that they could drive on.  I bet you there were a lot of people Sunday night who said "I haven't been this excited for a PPV for X number of months/years.  They really have hit gold on this one."

Don't drop the ball guys.  Fix the dam and maybe you might sell Summerslam just as effectively.

No comments: